11.16.2008

Flashing Lights


So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I recently moved to New York to be closer to my first love. Fashion. The city, among its other charms is the capitol of the fashion industry. OK, that may be my opinion, but bring on the debates if need be. Just being in the streets, people-watching, the architecture and energy brings me to a head space filled with creative thoughts and impulses.

In L.A. I worked more on the business side of the industry, and loved being in the vicinity of fashion, but felt lacking on the creative side. It may be a quarter-life crisis of sorts, but I have turned over a lot of new leaves this year, and maybe the highest-ranking risk is not moving across the country leaving friends and family, but quite possibly leaving the security of a decent-paying, secure job in these economically uncertain times to pursue what I really want to do. It may not be the best time, but I feel it is the time.

And after a little time spent relentlessly cold-callingor in this case cold-emailing, is there another term here??I finally got a few leads and am now waist-deep in the action. I have begun fashion/wardrobe styling, well assisting stylists, and am loving it! Which brings me to the whole point of this entry. I think things on this blog will also be moving in a new direction here on out. I want to take it on a more personal note. Not in the sense of self-exploitation, but to make things connect morewhere I connect with fashion. Not just thoughts and comments, but also in regards to how I affect (or intend one day to affect) the industry.

So, to make my explanation less abstract, I have decided to start chronicling the styling jobs I work on. Just a little taste of what's to comeI apologize for the photo quality, this is somewhat of an epiphany arrived upon after the fact, and is courtesty of my iPhone. The shoot was for ultra hip British magazine Wonderland, styled by the amazing fashion editor Anthony Unwin, whom I assisted. It was a really fun job to work on given the energy among all of the creatives on set. Foremost, the photographer Alexi Lubomirski and the very talented model, Olga Sherer. Olga was a wonder to watch. She really knows her stuff and brought a very upbeat, sexually-charged vibe to the photos. She is definitely one to see in action, having already been in basically everyone's runway show over the past few seasons. She can bring the heat to the editorial as well so I look forward to seeing more print work from her.

The overall look had a very sexy boardroom-meets-bedroom feel. There were lots of shoulder pads and mini skirts. Not to mention super high-high heels. I fell in love with a pair of suede, Bordeaux pumps by Christian Louboutin. They should hopefully make it into the mag given they were used for multiple looks, so I can drool over them a little longer. I definitely contemplated returning those Loubs a day late to the showroom for a one-night stand. Kidding! Anyway, I'm guessing since it's a five times a year pub it should be the Spring 2009 issue. Look out. More to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"one night stand" comment was very funny. Looking forward to your chronicles.

x